Me Saying Stuff. Randomly. Sporadically. Incoherently.

Monday, October 17, 2005

14-1

14. The Old Apartment - The Barenaked Ladies (Born On A Pirate Ship - 1996)

I always liked to view this as the way a Christian acts once he leaves his pre-Christ life and enters his with-Christ life, that lust to return to the way things once were. forgetting how bad things were in the process.

13. Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins (Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - 1995)

I like to think of this song,(being only the second track on their 2 hour + album) as billy corgan's way of saying, "i'm gonna sing about a whole lot of torment, but remember that if you give your life to Christ RIGHT NOW the torment won't be so bad"

12. Live Forever - Oasis (Definitly Maybe - 1994)

Written after the death of his girlfriend in a car crash, the songs shows the fear of stepping bodly into the future. The guitar solo reminds me of Neil Young, and is one of the most inspiring solos i've ever heard.


11. Dumb - Nirvana (In Utero - 1994)

Everytime it gets to the end of this song i always wondered why Kurt Cobain didn't scream "I think i'm dumb". I always come to the same conclusion, i think he means it.

10. Tuesday's Gone - Lynryd Skynryd (Pronouced Leh'-nerd Skin-erd-1972)

Me and Alex Dube (typo for reason) have watched Dazed and Confused more times to count. This song almost makes me wish my girlfriend left me on a train.

9. Comfortable Numb - Pink Floyd (The Wall - 1979)

Everytime i feel like the walls of society are towering over me and its to much too handle, Pink Floyd always comes through. This contains my NUMBER 1 ALL TIME FAVOURITE guitar solo. ever. You can give David Gilmour a ukelele and he'll make it sound like a stratocastor.

8. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin (Untitled - 1971)

When i was a kid i used to tell myself that the reason i believe in God was because of this song. I stopped telling myself that, but the doesn't necessairly mean its not true. This was the first rock song i fell in love with, when i was about 11 years old i memorized all the words. Its safe to say i was cool from the beginning.

7. Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix (Axis: Bold As Love - 1967)

Jimi Hendrix's most beautiful composition, and coming in at just over 2 minutes. The song is about those people that come into your life, give you love (not sexual love, if thats what your thinking) and then they're out of your life forever. I like to think i've built my life upon the reliance of people like that.

6. Hurt - Nine Inch Nails (The Downward Spiral - 1994)

As much as the johnny cash version is wonderfull and all that, i say that it takes one sick twisted motherf*cker to put something that sorrowfull on to paper. "i will let you down, i will make you hurt" is not something any human being should ever think of himself. What makes this song for me is the one line "if i could start again". It is this brief moment of hope that gives me the feeling that even the person that has been wallowing in hell for his whole has a hope for heaven.

5. Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam (Jeremy CD Single - 1992)

I'm not sure if open the eyes of my heart is a rip off of this song, or the other way around. Defintly the most famous B side of the past 20 years, and coincidentaly contains the 92 greatest guitar solo of all time. The fact that it was done in one take and Eddie vedder made the lyrics on the spot make me smile, cuz its rather emotional, and rather meaningless. Kind of like my personl view on worship music. but thats a whole nother can of beans.

4. Apparitions - Matthew Good Band (Underdogs - 1998)

The fact that they edited out the guitar solo for radio adds a sad sense of irony to a song devoted to the conformities in a brain. We will eat what they feed us and never ask questions. Theres a rat in my brain.

3. Today - Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream - 1993)

Today is the greatest day i've ever known, can't live for tomorrow, tomorrows much too long. You can't help but feel sorry for Billy Corgan as he sings his very own suicide note, thank God he never actually killed himself.

2. Where Is My Mind? - Pixies (Surfer Rosa - 1988)

When i was 15 years old me and Austin watched fight club. At the end of that movie when the buildings fall down and the male penis flashes on the screen this song is playing. I'm proud to say i heard it live, and hearing 15 hundred people singing along to this song was crazy awesome.

1. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here - 1975)

Well here it is. I believe that wish you were here is amongst the most beautiful things you can say to someone. Of all the things you could wish for, your merely wishing for someones presence. The first song i ever learned on guitar, and a beautiful ode to insanity. Shine on you crazy diamond indeed.

Skoch

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so many memories on this list. i miss you. tear. in my mind today isn't about suicide it's about doing the uncommen thing of forgetting about tommorow or yesterday and only living for the today.

12:00 AM

 
Blogger Nav said...

So the girl who lives across the hall from me known Melissa. Oh, and I broke my foot. Dang.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Natalie Jill said...

Siamese dream is their best album. I still love to listen to it. You're completely bombarded with sound! I listened to the entire album this Friday on my drive home. There's something about that song that makes me want to drive around in a ice-cream truck.

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home